The Green Mountain State Goes Gay

Congratulations to all the engaged same-sex couples in Vermont who can now get married.  It's September 1 and it's now legal for you.  Here's a Boston Globe article on the subject.

Vermont was the first state in the United States to have civil unions, and this was back in 2000.  That "separate but unequal" invention was good for awhile but there's nothing like a real marriage to validate a relationship. 

Vermont is a gorgeous place and my favorite venue is the Stowe Mountain Lodge.  The scenery is spectacular and the chef is top-notch.  I highly recommend it.

Just a few FAQ about getting married in Vermont:

  • Do you have to be a resident of Vermont to get married in Vermont?  No.
  • Is there a waiting period to obtain a marriage license?  No.
  • Is there a blood test required to obtain a marriage license?  No.
  • What is the fee to apply for a marriage license?  $45
  • Where should I apply for a marriage license?  If you are a Vermont resident, apply in the town in which you live.  If you are not, you should apply at a town clerk's office in the county in which you will marry.
  • What if I have a civil union in Vermont?  Will it transfer over? It will not.  The civil union stands unless it is legally dissolved, however after today no more civil unions will be issued.
  • What paperwork do I need to apply for a license?  You should bring any divorce decrees, a birth certificate and be prepared to answer questions about place of birth, mother's maiden name and previous marriages.
  • Will you plan my Vermont gay wedding?  Of course.

Also, check out what Ben and Jerry's ice cream is doing in honor of gay marriage coming to their home state.

Gotta love the support!

| Permalink
Post has no comments.
Post a Comment

Captcha Image

Trackback Link
Post has no trackbacks.