At 14 Stories, we're not just in the business of wedding planning - but we like to provide our clients with resources to build and protect their family. Last year we did a blog series about estate planning, written by our former client Claire DeMarco, who is an estate planning attorney in Boston. Claire did all of the paperwork to protect the Coveney-Smith family.
Now that same-sex marriage is legal in New York, I think it's time to revisit this important topic. Ron Meyers will be the attorney to whom we refer our New York gay wedding clients. Ron has been helping LGBT couples protect their families for more than 10 years.
Here are the top five ways to protect your LGBT family:
1. Health Care Proxies - so you can visit your spouse or partner in the hospital when you are in a state where same-sex marriage is not recognized.
2. Durable Power of Attorney - so you can make decisions on behalf of your partner or spouse beyond state lines when you are in a state where same-sex marriage is not recognized.
3. Wills - to define your family and protect your assets should one of you pass
4. Trusts - used as an alternative to a will, so your estate can be handled privately, rather than in court, should one of you pass and have family who does not support your same-sex marriage or relationship.
5. Second parent adoption - if you have a child, so both parents have legal guardianship to the child or children if you are in a state where same-sex marriage is not recognized.
Both Claire and Ron can help with all of these five ways to protect your family and I enthusiastically encourage you to give them a call!
Photo by Gretje Ferguson
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.